The Wedding Venue Map team knows that finding the perfect dress can be an undertaking. We reached out to one of our featured bridal salons to learn more about ways to customize your wedding dress. The Bridal Finery shares their tips below.
Time to go wedding dress shopping! Your bridal party shares tips and tricks from their own experiences as a bride. You scroll online through a sea of white and ivory wedding dresses to gather your thoughts and ideas.
As the bridal appointment approaches, you may begin to feel more overwhelmed by the expectations of finding the perfect dress! You start to ask yourself “How will I know when I’ve found ‘The One?'” Your partner reminds you how particular you are even with pizza. Well done, light on the sauce, half pepperoni, extra cheese, and delicately scattered mushrooms.
How will you ever find a dress and how many shops will it take? The Bridal Finery has it all figured out! Wedding dress shopping can either be really hard or easy and fun. We use customization to make it easy and to steer brides far away from a cookie-cutter dress and experience.
When you are standing in a dress you feel like a bride in, but it is simply missing that one detail you are dreaming of, we make it happen! Read through some of our favorite ways to customize. During your bridal experience, we will show you custom changes by pinning fabric or beading to your dress.
How to Customize a Wedding Dress
- Let’s talk about sleeves! Sleeves come in all kinds of fantastic styles these days. From small and dainty to large and dramatic, there is a fun sleeve out there for all. A simple and fluttery tulle sleeve can soften the look to your wedding dress. Large bell sleeves in a sheer fabric can add some glam to your wedding day look. Boleros can fall into this category as well. Boleros are usually crafted from lace and you have the option of sourcing one from a designer or having a custom bolero handmade especially for your gown. The bolero option is removable so you can change your look from ceremony to reception very quickly.
- Sash your way to a new look! Sashes are amazing and can be added to almost any wedding dress. Beaded sashes are great for adding some bling to your dress. However, you also have the options of ribbon, lace, or a simple technique of using the same fabric from your dress to simply accentuate your waistline. Sashes can be sewn directly onto your wedding dress or tacked on to be removable as well.
- Necklines, think outside of the box. Most women have a neckline they love because it is most flattering on them. You can translate your favorite neckline into your wedding dress as well! By using lace, beaded appliques, or the fabric from which your dress is made, you can work one-on-one with your stylist and seamstress to create a neckline you love.
- Capes are not only for superheroes. Steal the show by transforming your look into a sultry one with a cape! Capes can be crafted to create a clean tulle look or they can be made completely out of lace to dramatize a minimalist wedding dress. The shoulder area of the cape can be jazzed up with beading or stones to portray your inner goddess. Talk about a fun photo prop!
- Skirts! Who doesn’t feel more feminine with a flowy skirt? A skirt can be added to your wedding look as a permanent fixture or as a detachable item. Detachable is a great way to go so you can change your look from ceremony to reception. Adding a skirt with several tulle layers is a creative way to create volume.
- Why have simple spaghetti straps when you can turn up the volume with beaded straps! This is an easy way to customize your gown. Beading can be sown directly on to the preexisting straps or the straps on your gown can easily be removed and refitted with beaded straps.
- We love veils and accessories! There is a veil out there for every bride and they work great as photo props. With veils, there are so many options. You can sophisticate your look with a clean tulle veil or you can have it bedazzled with Swarovski crystal detail. Lace Mantilla veils create an old-world traditional look that is truly stunning. Extra appliques or lace pieces can be ordered to match your wedding dress and then applied to your veil for a complete designer look. Hairpieces, earrings, and bracelets are all great ways to complete your look and they can be customized as well. Different jewel tones or beading can be added or taken away to create accessories that you can’t live without. If you are changing your hairstyle from ceremony to reception, you can change hairpieces and earrings as well.
- Sneak in some color by changing the lining color of your wedding dress or add in some detachable fabric pieces. If your wedding dress has a sheer overlay, you can make the lining in just about any color you desire. Your wedding stylist will be able to work with you to source fabric and color that works best for your vision.
The best way to show your personality and style is to customize your wedding dress. There is no other bride like you and you certainly shouldn’t have the same dress as the rest of them. The stylists at The Bridal Finery have dedicated their time to mastering the art of customizing. We all have our preferences and there is no better time in your life to have exactly what you wish!
Book an appointment to customize your bridal look: https://www.thebridalfinery.com/appointments