Nothing can ever come close to getting a ring on it, only to find out it doesn’t fit! Before putting on a ring, here are some of the easiest ways to measure ring size at home. This is a ‘how to’, to accurately gauge your perfect ring size. Your engagement ring will be that constant symbol of your love, even long after your destination wedding. So you should get it right.
This guide will walk you through finding the perfect ring size, check out this antique ring for an engagement. There are three common ways to measure ring size at home and get it right.
How to Measure Ring Size with String or Floss?
Take one, either a string or floss, and wrap it around the base of the bride-to-be’s finger. Next, mark where the string or floss starts to overlap using a pen or marker. Then line this point on a ruler and note down the length in millimeters for the jeweler.
The standard ring size measurement is every half-size matching 0.4-millimeter increments. That means a measurement starting from 14mm equals size 3. With that said, then size 14.4mm equals size 3.5.
Common ring sizes for women are size 6, which equals 16.5mm, and 16.9 mm and 17.3 mm equalling sizes 6.5 and 7, respectively. For men, sizes 10, 10.5, and 11 measure 19.8 mm, 20.2 mm, and 20.6 mm, respectively.
How to Measure Ring Size using A Ring You Already Own?
If you already own a ring that currently fits you perfectly, place it against the ring size chart to determine the perfect ring size for you. Get a ring size chart and print it out, and then place your ring on the circles to find the one that matches. This is one of the easiest ways to measure your ring size at home.
These charts are designed to present what each ring size should ideally fit. So matching your ring on either of the circles should give you an accurate measurement of your perfect ring size.
Even though some rings can be easily resized, others cannot. Therefore, it is important to get your jeweler accurate results. Printing a ring size chart is the easiest and best way to achieve accuracy.
How to Measure Ring Size using A Ring Sizer?
Another of the easiest ways to measure your ring size at home, and probably the best and most hassle-free way to measure ring size at home is to order a ring sizer. Ring sizers are usually cheap to buy, and if you are lucky, your jeweler might send you one for free or send a printable version you can print and measure with easily.
When you download the ring sizer, remember to print it at a 100% scale. Remember to check the fit-to-page box to get accurate measurements from the sizer printout. Finally, place your ring finger on the sizer until you find the right size. Note down the measurement and send it to your jeweler.
You can also buy a plastic ring sizer. These sizers usually work like a mini-belt to tie around your ring finger. A plastic arrow marker points to your ring measurement. It works for both men and women.
Tips to Make Sure you find the Correct Size when you
Tips to keep in mind to make it the easiest way to measure your ring size at home.
- Consider the time of day: Fingers are known to change size through the course of the day. Remember, if the weather is warmer, your fingers might be bigger. At the same time, when the time of the day is colder, your fingers will be smaller. Find a balance in prevailing temperatures to get the perfect ring size to fit all times.
- Measure each finger individually: The dominant hand is slightly bigger than the other hand. Therefore, measure the ring size of each finger individually rather than considering them all the same.
- Don’t pull too tight or let it loose: If you are using a string or floss to measure ring size, don’t let it loose or be too tight. Doing either will skew the ring measurement, and you will end up with a ring that doesn’t fit.
- Compare results: To remove the chance of wrong measurements, measure at least 3 or 4 times and compare the results. You would want to get the most accurate sizing for the perfect ring.
- Get a sample: If you have a ring that fits you perfectly, consider measuring the diameter and using those measurements. Otherwise, you can send in your measurement along with the sample for accuracy.
- Consider the knuckle size: Measure the widest points and base of your finger if your knuckle is bigger. Get the measurements and use a size that is between both measurements.
You can get your ring finger measured at a jewelry store, or you can do it yourself on your couch. With the perfect fitting ring size, you can shop for timeless pieces that will complement not only the occasion but will also remind you of your dream wedding.
Author’s BIO: Lori Wade is a content writer who is interested in a wide range of spheres from wedding design and fashion trends to wedding business and sharing her ideas. If you are interested in relationships, weddings & fashion, you can find her on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Leave a comment